Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I am back from NYC

This is not my photo but an advertisement of the Broadway show I saw in NYC for half price at $61. That means it would have been almost $130 with tax at full price. Okay let me start at that beginning. I got up very early on Saturday to meet up with my friend at 7:15 am that is super early for me. We took the Amtrak train in NYC. We walked really far to the Dylan hotel with our rolling bags, so we could drop them off at least since it was too early to check in. Okay we traveled down to the TKTS ticket center on foot. My friend was good at knowing where to go so I had not a worry and did not even look at a street sign. So Grease had an opening for a 3rd and 4th row single seat one right behind the other. So if you are ever in NYC between 10-2 pm they sell tickets that are left over for half price. So if you do not mind taking a chance you will save lots of money. Oh and we found out Taylor Hicks was playing the teen angel but guess what his understudy was on for this matinee. Oh well. So we walked to get some lunch at an empty Irish pub. I had a lamb burger and it was tasty and it poured the whole time we ate lunch. Once lunch was over the sky was clear again. We walked around a little bit before the show. Oh did I tell you my friend walks like she is being chased. YES she does! I had flip flops on and I was starting to feel pains and blisters. Okay I feel like this is so much information for one blog post. We saw the show and I am not trying to be negative, but had I paid more for this show I would not have been happy. Okay I think it is hard to connect with a new set of characters if you are attached to the old cast in the movie for one. This was my first musical and frankly I was more impressed with the awesome Christmas Carol show I saw in Disney last year. (It was unbelievable by the way!) Here was the other thing it should have been rated PG-13. There was cursing that was so not necessary. Here was the other thing that was embarrassing. My friend totally missed this part. LOL! There was a scene where the whole cast was out on the stage and two of them were singing a song on the bleachers while the rest were doing stuff to be in the background scene. Okay Rizzo and Knicky were laying on the floor making out. I was like what are they doing??? Than I watched all the kids pop up in there seat to lean and look at what these people were doing. They actually switched position to have Rizzo on top. YUCK! I finally blocked my view with the guy's head in front of me. Okay so I did smile alot at the singing but I loved the movie way more. Okay than we walked down to Time Square and it was loud, but an experience. LOTS of people and BIG billboards.


We went into the American girl doll store and I bought a wheel chair for my daughter. She has wanted one before, but they were out and shipping is alot because it comes assembled. My friend bought one also and wondered why she did, because of it's size. The AMG place held it for us as we walked around town. My feet were hurting and so were my friend's and it was time to go check in. We rested for a little bit at the hotel. It was a nice room with a beautiful bathroom. My friend was waiting to hear and meet her Australian online friend. The Australian friend came to the room to visit with us. She was super sweet and said she would be back after she and her friend did their Empire State building tour. My friend and I went to eat at a great diner near Times Square and I had a tuna sandwich that was so awesome. It poured again for like 10 minutes and we both forgot to bring our umbrellas. UGH! We went into a store to buy some snacks until it stopped.

Okay please read more later if I am boring you to tears. LOL! The Australian girl came back and they talked about period movies and more until 3:45 in the am. It was great to see my friend talk to her online friend in person. They had a blast. I was so tired when she left I fell right asleep. One of my dumb questions I asked her was "What language do you speak in Australia?" Apparently they speak English. LOL! She thought I was too funny. Well I have all my wonderful customers from Sweden and they speak English as well as their own language. So geography and history were never my strong point.

Okay now I had to get up in 4 hours to shower before our trip on the circle line tour. (me, my friend, Australian girl and her Australian friend) It was a three hour boat tour around NYC. It was informative and on such a beautiful day. So after the tour I went to Starbucks for a frozen coffee. We had lunch in Times Square and I had a slice of pizza. Now it was like 2 pm and the Australian ladies were leaving in an hour so we had to sprint to central park. I almost did not make it. I was getting a cramp, my feet hurt even in my sneakers, and I was totally out of breath. I know you are probably thinking I must really be out of shape which is true. But it was basically running and would you be prepared to run through the busy streets of NYC after eating and the added factors of heat and sweat. LOL! We made it and saw the park and they left to continue their travels to Connecticut. We walked down 5th Avenue, bought a book, picked up our bags at the hotel, went to the train, sat in pain, and arrived safely home around 8pm on Sunday. I had a great time, but I did start missing my husband alot by early afternoon when I officially woke up. Okay I am done my NYC story and I will post photos from my friend's camera as soon as she downloads and emails them to me so stayed tuned.

3 comments:

The Beauty Bargainista said...

WOW! sounds like you had a great time! Sorry that Grease wasnt what you expected! :( But I am glad you had a great time none the less! :)

melbytoast said...

Such a CRAZY adventure!!! You are one spontaneous chick, lol.

Glad you had fun...and made it back in one piece!

(((hugs)))

Kristen

Jona Giammalva said...

That sounds hilarious!! What a fun adventure.

"What language do you speak..." LOL!!