Thursday, July 10, 2008

I am back and I heart Peters Valley


Here are some things I made while I was away. I made some new wedding bands for my husband and I, but I do plan on tumbling them to a shine. I made a faceted stone tube setting ring and some copper heavy gauge earrings. I was away for a 5 day metalsmith workshop. I took my family with me and we stayed in a rented RV at a campground. Our friends also came just for three days with their girls so everyone had fun. I left to go to the workshop each day from 9 to 5. I did have to drive about 45 minutes to get to the workshop location. I would return to the campground just in time for dinner, smores by the fire, and late night talking. My family did go visit the Orange County Choppers shop and forgot to take their video camera, but I got a t-shirt.

Okay so more about my workshop. I did think it was going to be different and at first I thought I would not take another workshop. I later changed my mind. I have learned a lot from books and once you know the basics nothing beats practice. I learned tips and tricks from the teacher and the students. I asked lots of questions. I learned I need more tools. (Do we ever have enough tools? LOL!) I also gained some confidence about making new things. I think most of all I had a great time working with the other students. They were all different and all amazing in their own way. I loved the location of my workshop. It was very rustic to say the least. I had to drive a 1.5 miles up a dirt/rock road to get to Thunder mountain where the fine metals department was located. We had lunch each day at noon located back down that dirt road in house. Each day it's workers made a great meal. Some of the students offered 10 hours of their time to work in different areas for a discounted workshop. A great non profit organization only alive with the support of it's students and others who purchase crafts and attend their yearly two day craft show. I would definitely take another workshop and if the timing is right and I have the money we will go again to a campsite closer to Peters Valley. I plan on supporting Peter's Valley by donating some creations to their weekly auction held every Sunday. They auction off crafts created by students, assistants, and teachers. I was the high bidder on a beautiful blue bowl with pretty flowers created by Alison the ceramics assistant.





5 comments:

erin said...

I love the stuff you made, especially the ring with the blue stone. And amazing that you made yourselves new wedding bands, not many people can say that!

I can't wait to see your upcoming pieces with all your new knowledge!

Your pics look awesome, by the way, did you get a new camera?

Joyfully Crafted said...

Thank you Erin. You are sweet. No new camera. The sun was going down so I was losing light. I guess maybe they look different because they are small pieces and they are close up. I look forward to making new things also. I just need to get all my design scribbled papers together and stop making myself feel rushed. LOL!

Jona Giammalva said...

The blue stone one is my favorite too! Gorgeous. I'd like to see them after you roll them (I'm not entirely sure what that is). It sounds like a fun time and it's neat to see someone honing their craft.

Charmingdesigns said...

I just caught up on your blog. I checked out the classes they offer...wow. You made some beautiful pieces!! Laurie

Kirsten said...

Thank you for letting me know about your blog and the trip! I have never been there before but am looking forward to teaching there.